We’ve got a brand-new Virtual Instant Challenge for you! For this challenge, you will create a drawing to be copied by friends and/or family members without them seeing it. This is a two-part challenge with a time limit for each part. The only materials needed for this challenge are crayons and paper.
Challenge: Create a drawing to be copied.
Procedure: This is a two-part challenge with a time limit for each part.
Part 1: (15 minutes to draw)
- Using the materials below, create a drawing showing as many shapes as possible from the list below.
- Use as much of the sheet of paper as possible. You can even use the back of the sheet of paper.
- Share this challenge with a friend so they can also create a drawing to be copied, but don’t share your ideas or drawings with each other.
Part 2: (15 minutes to describe)
- Call or video chat your friend. If video chatting, do not let them see your drawing. See if your friend can “copy” your drawing on a sheet of paper with you describing your drawing.
- Your friend will need 4 crayons (red, blue, black, green) and a sheet of paper.
- Use only words to describe your drawing.
- Your friend can only draw and cannot ask any questions.
- Once time is up, compare your drawing to your friend’s copy.
Materials: 4 crayons (red, blue, black, green), 1 sheet of paper
Circle, Square, Rectangle, Oval, Triangle, Rhombus, Hexagon, Parallelogram
Cat, Flower, Building, Automobile
Scoring for the Builder:
A. 5 points (30 points maximum) for each different geometric shape used in your drawing
B. 10 points (20 points maximum) for each different art shape used in your drawing
C. 5 points (20 points maximum) for each color used in your drawing
D. 25 points if your friend’s copy looks exactly like your drawing
15 points if your friend’s copy looks somewhat like your drawing
5 points if your friend’s copy looks nothing like your drawing
- How did you describe where on the page to start drawing?
- What strategy did you use when creating the drawing to make it easier for you to tell your friend how to draw it?
- What was the easiest part of solving the challenge? What was the hardest part of solving the challenge?
Share this challenge with a friend and ask the friend or perhaps try this challenge more than once with different friends and family members. Compare scores and see who can create the highest-scoring solution.