For more than 20 years, Destination Imagination (DI) has been inspiring participants to achieve anything they can imagine in life. Along the way, we have engaged thousands of volunteers—from Team Managers to educators to corporate philanthropists—who have helped to effectuate DI’s mission. It truly takes a village to keep DI a vibrant and thriving community of creative innovators from all over the world.
Now, once again, DI is looking for top talent to join our team and help us achieve our mission and vision.
Are you a development professional who is seeking volunteer opportunities? Are you a corporate leader who believes that DI should be available to every child? Do you believe that the power of generosity, philanthropy and fundraising can empower good work and impact? If so, we want you to join our team!
Destination Imagination is looking for a cohort of professionals to volunteer their time, talent and expertise to help the DI Board of Trustees as ad-hoc members of the Development Committee. If you have any questions regarding this volunteer position, please reach out to email@example.com.
Non-Board Development Committee Job Description
Purpose of the Development Committee: As a committee of the Destination Imagination Board of Directors, this group helps the Board carry out its due diligence function related to assuring fiscal health through philanthropy and fund development. This group partners with staff to institutionalize the philanthropic process within the Board and the organization’s individual members, assuring a donor-centered organization.
Reports to: Board of Directors and takes direction from the institution’s strategic plan.
Staff to the Committee: Director of Partnerships and Institutional Advancement and Executive Director
Committee membership and operations: Members include both Board and non-Board members. All committee work is done in partnership with and through the leadership and enabling of assigned staff. The Executive Director makes all staff assignments. The committee does not usurp the authority of the Board, and neither directs nor oversees staff.
Frequency of meetings: As necessary
Required Qualifications, Expectations and Scope of Work
- Must be 25 years of age or older as of May 31, 2021
- Must be available for up to 10 hours per month
- Must be willing and able to connect remotely and on Eastern Time
- Must fill out this application by no later than May 31, 2021
- Committee membership starts Summer 2021
- Estimated average 10 hours of work per month
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to take initiative
- Strong creativity and organizational skills
- Help nurture a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Respect and honor all donors and supporters of the organization.
- Keep any sensitive donor information confidential.
- Advise the development committee on fundraising best practices.
- Help to devise, plan and execute fundraising events, as necessary.
- Devise and recommend philanthropy and fund development policies and recommend to the Board for action, including any policies.
- Educate the Board and individual Board members are adequately educated about the basic principles and best practices in fund development, including the design of a donor-centered organization.
- Help the Board articulate the case for philanthropic support directed at specific audiences.
- Participate in task force(s) to carry out specific fund development activities.
- Willing to make donor phone calls, make public fundraising appeals to personal network and make a meaningful personal contribution to Destination Imagination, Inc.
- Ability to work in a remote setting with a small, fast-paced team.
- Committee member performance will be evaluated at least bi-annually.
Limitations for Non-Board Development Committee Members
- These committee members are empowered to serve at the behest of the Director of Strategic Partnerships and Advancement and the Development Committee Chairperson
- The role is limited to whatever has been agreed upon by the leaders of the development committee and agreed upon by the committee member.
- The committee member understands that there may be meetings or other privileged information that they may not have access to given their non-board status.
- While this committee member role is not time-bound, it may be projectized and the role may end with the completion of a particular project undertaken by the Development Committee.
- If the committee member’s role is associated with a discrete project, at the end of the project, the committee member may be asked to participate in another project or continue serving in their role for another period of time.
- If, at any time, the committee member needs to or would like to step away from their role on the committee, they may do so by notifying both the Director of Strategic Partnerships and Advancement and the Development Committee Chairperson.
- The committee member should understand that by taking on this role, they are expected to participate fully in the role and responsibilities in order to effectuate the committee’s goals and strategy and should not enter into the role lightly.
Benefits and Compensation
This is a 100% volunteer role and Destination Imagination, Inc. will not be compensating any members of the Development Committee.
Destination Imagination, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. Destination Imagination, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The post Join the Destination Imagination Development Committee appeared first on Destination Imagination.