From Walt Disney Animation Studios comes Moana, a film about an adventurous teenager who sails out on a daring mission to save her people. During her journey, Moana meets the once-mighty demigod Maui, who guides her in her quest to become a master wayfinder. Together, they sail across the open ocean on an action-packed voyage.
Parents, here is an opportunity to spend some quality time with your children while solving our exciting and engaging Amazing Invention Photo Challenge, inspired by Disney Moana! Imagine that you will embark upon an epic adventure to any destination. Where will you go? What will you need to get there? Will you need a boat, just like Moana? A special compass? Unique shoes? Or will you need something completely different?
To solve the Amazing Invention Photo Challenge, you will design and build a toy-sized version of an amazing invention that will help you on your imaginary adventure. Your amazing invention can be inspired by something that already exists or it can be completely new. It is up to you! Just like Moana, you will have to be smart and curious. Explore your house and the world around you to find materials that you can recycle and use to build your amazing invention. Since it is important to preserve and protect environments across the world such as forests, rivers and even the ocean that Moana navigates, we all need to consider our environmental impact. Therefore, your amazing invention must be made from recycled, recyclable or reusable materials that are put together in a creative way. And don’t forget to name your amazing invention!
Imagine all of the creative things that you can do with the materials that you find around your house. Remember, with a little Disney magic, anything is possible!
Once complete, you will submit the photo of your amazing invention and some other basic information through the Amazing Invention Contest App. Then, encourage your friends to vote for YOUR amazing invention. The 20 amazing invention photos with the most votes will then be viewed by Disney creativity experts and evaluated equally on the criteria below. Your submission may earn up to 60 maximum points (20 points per category).
- Overall creativity of the amazing invention (up to 20 points).
- Creative use of recycled, recyclable or reusable materials (up to 20 points).
- Creativity of the amazing invention name (up to 20 points).
Something is considered more creative when it is a new, unique, or creative way to solve a problem, accomplish a task, or combine traditional elements.
The Grand Prize Winner will receive a trip for four to the premiere of Disney Moana on November 14, 2016 at the El Capitan Theater in Los Angeles, California, including airfare and 2-night hotel accommodation. Second Prize Winner will receive a $200 Gift Card to the Disney Store. Third Prize winner will receive a Gift Basket of Disney Moana products.
Click here to download the complete Amazing Invention Photo Challenge details and Official Contest Rules.
Why participate in the Amazing Invention Photo Challenge?
It’s a given. When you spend quality time together solving a fun and engaging challenge with your children, you learn and grow together in new and unexpected ways. While solving this challenge, you will have the opportunity to engage your children in conversations about practicing environmental sustainability as you use recycled, recyclable and reusable materials to create your amazing invention. To top it all off, you could win some truly AMAZING prizes!
Step-by-Step Process for Solving the Amazing Invention Photo Challenge:
- Decide where you will go on your adventure.
*Think of at least 5 imaginary destinations and choose your favorite location. Click here for an idea generating tool that you can use to help you develop ideas for your challenge solution.
- Decide what your amazing invention should be based on your chosen adventure.
*Come up with at least 3 different ideas for an amazing invention that might help you to get to your imaginary destination. Choose your favorite.
- Explore materials in your house and the world around you.
*Create a list of recycled, recyclable and reusable materials that you might use as you design and build your amazing invention. Make sure that you experiment with some of the properties of the materials.
- Design and build your amazing invention with the materials that you have found.
*While building, you might discover that something isn’t working the way you thought it would. That is okay! Just try it a different way or use another type of material.
- Choose a name for your amazing invention.
*Come up with at least 3 different names for your amazing invention. Choose your favorite.
- Take a photo of your amazing invention.
*Display your chosen name somewhere in the photo you take of your amazing invention.
- Upload your photo to the contest page and fill in some basic information. Click here to access the contest app.
*Make sure to include in your caption a list of the recycled, recyclable or reused materials used in the design of the amazing invention, as well as the name of your amazing invention.
- Tell your friends and family to go to the contest page and vote for your photo.
- Reinforce the learning by asking processing questions, such as:
*What were the most useful materials that you used in creating your amazing invention?
*Which materials were recyclable? Recycled? Reused?
*Why is it important to use recyclable, recycled or reusable materials?
*How did you make decisions about the destination, the amazing invention and the name?
- Voting is open to the public from October 17, 2016 through October 27, 2016. Voting closes at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on October 27, 2016.
- The Top 20 Most Popular Entries will be appraised by a Judging panel comprised of Disney creativity experts. The Top 20 Most Popular Entries will be decided by the voting of users of the Contest app. These votes will have no bearing on the selecting of the prize winners.
- Visit http://woobox.com/swyts2 to vote for your favorite photo submission.
- To cast a vote, click the “Vote” button on the main contest page and then click “Vote” on your favorite photo submission.
- Limit only one vote per person per day.
Terms & Qualifications
- The Amazing Invention Photo Contest begins October 17, 2016 and ends October 27, 2016. All photo submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on October 27, 2016.
- Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (“U.S.”) who are 18 years of age or older.
- Limit only one entry per eligible person. Duplicates will be removed.
- Limit only one vote per person per day.
- Each entry must be the submitting entrant’s own, previously unpublished work and cannot feature any material owned or controlled by third parties.
- Photo entry caption must include a list of the recycled, recyclable or reused materials used in the design of the amazing invention, as well as the name of the invention.
- Photo entries must not include content that is obscene, libelous or otherwise objectionable (including, without limitation, profanity, offensive language, nudity, and excessive violence).
- Entries are void if Sponsor determines the photograph to not be an original, or if the entries are incomplete, inaccessible or blocked, corrupted, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
- Photo entries must be in JPG or PNG format.
- By entering this Contest and having a chance to win an award, you agree and represent that you grant to Destination Imagination, Inc. and Disney Consumer Products, Inc. and its affiliates, a non-exclusive, sub-licensable, irrevocable and royalty-free worldwide license under all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, privacy and publicity rights and other intellectual property rights to use, reproduce, transmit, communicate to the public, print, publish, publicly display, exhibit, distribute, redistribute, copy, index, comment on, modify, adapt, translate, create derivative works based upon, publicly perform, make available and otherwise exploit your Submission, in whole or in part, in all media formats and channels now known or hereafter devised (including on third-party sites and platforms such as Facebook, YouTube and Twitter), in any number of copies and without limit as to time, manner and frequency of use, without further notice to you, with or without attribution, and without the requirement of permission from or payment to you or any other person or entity.
- Entrants whose photo submissions are in the Top 20 must be prepared to provide (within three (3) calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s request) a signed Photo Release form. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate finalist.
- Grand Prize Winner must be able to travel on the designated dates and will be required to sign an IRS Form 1099, a Liability Release and a Photo Release within three (3) calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s request. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
- In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize is/are ineligible, cannot be traced or does/do not respond within three (3) calendar days to a winner notification, or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Destination Imagination, Inc. and Disney, in their sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another entrant.
- By participating, all entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless Destination Imagination, Inc., Disney, the organizations’ partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
- Any entry that violates the Official Contest Rules will be disqualified.
- Grand Prize – Trip for four (winner and three guests) to the premier of Disney Moana on November 14, 2016 at the El Capitan Theater in Los Angeles, California, including airfare and 2-night hotel accommodation. (ARV of $5,000)
- Second Prize – $200 Gift Card to the Disney Store
- Third Prize – Gift Basket of Disney Moana products (ARV of $150)
The contest start date is October 17, 2016 and will run through October 27, 2016 at 11:59pm EST.
Photo entries must be submitted by legal residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. Limit only one entry per person. Duplicates will be removed.
To download the Contest instructions and Official Rules, click here.