Pin trading is one of the most popular activities at Destination Imagination (DI) tournaments. In order to protect our organization, our DI teams and our volunteers, we have instated new pin guidelines for Teams and Individuals, effective immediately. Please be sure to read all of the guidelines below before for creating pins for any Destination Imagination event.
Commercially Made Pins
The following applies to all commercially made pins designed and created by Teams and Individuals:
- All Teams and Individuals are required to use a Licensed Pin Vendor that has been approved by Destination Imagination, Inc. or a DI Affiliate and that has a License to create commercially made pins in the Team or Individual’s state, province or country (if outside the U.S.). For example, a team in Illinois may not use a pin vendor that only has an Affiliate Pin License for the state of North Carolina.
a. A list of approved Destination Imagination, Inc. Licensed Pin Vendors will be made available on the Destination Imagination, Inc. website in early September and will continue to be updated as new Vendors are approved. To purchase pins through your Affiliate’s approved Licensed Pin Vendor(s), contact your Affiliate Director for more information.
b. Teams and Individuals who would like to use an outside vendor must have their vendor purchase a License through Destination Imagination, Inc.’s ShopDI.org website.
- In order to participate in pin trading at Global Finals, commercially produced pins must be made by a Licensed Pin Vendor that has been approved by Destination Imagination, Inc. or a DI Affiliate and that has a License to create commercially made pins in the Team or Individual’s state, province or country (if outside the U.S.).
- Teams and Individuals may NOT use the Destination Imagination, Inc.® name or any Destination Imagination, Inc. logos, including the “box and ball,” Global Finals or Challenge logos, on any commercially made pins. Any Team or Individual pins that violate this will not be sanctioned or condoned by Destination Imagination, Inc.
- Teams and Individuals may NOT use the word “DI” on their pins. “DI” is a mark that is not owned by Destination Imagination, Inc. for use on merchandise, including on pins.
- Teams and Individuals may NOT include their Affiliate initials combined with “DI” in any manner, whether hyphenated or without a space between them (e.g., NJ-DI, MADI, etc.).
- Teams and Individuals are prohibited from infringing on a person’s or company’s intellectual property. Teams and Individuals may work with Licensed Pin Vendors to create appropriate designs that do not violate relevant copyright law. It is the responsibility of the Licensed Pin Vendor to ensure and communicate adherence to copyright laws.
- Licensed Pin Vendors will include a stamp or watermark, such as their logo, name or initials, on the back of each Team or Individual’s pin to indicate its authorization.
*Teams and Individuals may also purchase stock pins, available on the open market, for pin trading at Destination Imagination events.
- Teams and Individuals registered with a Destination Imagination Affiliate may produce handmade art (homemade or made by the team members).
- No license fee to Destination Imagination, Inc. is required as long as the total number of each handmade product is less than 21 per team and the team has made them themselves.
- Vendors or commercial establishments are NOT allowed to participate in the production of these handmade products.
Additional Info for Pin Vendors
All Licensed Pin Vendors are required to purchase a license through Destination Imagination, Inc. Licensed Pin Vendors who pay for a single Affiliate License may NOT create pins for Teams or Individuals in any other Affiliate. In order to create pins for more than one Affiliate, the vendor must purchase a Multiple Affiliate/International Vendors license. If you’re a vendor and would like to purchase a license, click here.